Friday, September 14, 2012

Prizren--Day 2

I have a spectacular view of the mountains and countryside from my room.  The cool mountain air was really fresh this morning.  The skies were overcast with fog hanging around the upper peaks, but it still was a beautiful morning.  Coffee on the patio was especially nice this morning.

I gave my lecture on chronic wound management to some of the staff at the regional hospital in Prizren.  There were 65 people in attendance.  Lots of good questions and dialogue.  Afterwards, I had a tour of this 550-bed hospital, then was "consulted" on two patients with chronic diabetic foot wounds (I'll spare you the photographic details).  Despite the lack of supplies and equipment, the hospital has learned to be very creative in caring for their patients and actually do a pretty good job. 

Tonight was the opening ceremony for the 4th Annual International Conference for Pain Treatment.  It was a very nice program, with many of last year's presenters returning for another year.  The highlight of my evening was being able to meet and talk briefly with the Minister of Health for the country of Kosova.  His opening remarks were quite good (the part he said in English, anyway).  Afterwards, at  the outdoor reception, I had several opportunities to tell my other reason for coming to Kosova--to do humanitarian work and what (and whom) my motivation is for doing this work in Vushtrri.  Relationship-building is so very important, especially here in Kosova.  It never ceases to amaze me how these people can be so kind and hospitable.



The internet service is really acting up here tonight, so I better close before I accidentally lose this post.  Have a great weekend! 
Be blessed,
--Les

No comments:

Post a Comment